What are the interesting things about Ebonyi that we might not know yet? Here are interesting facts about Ebonyi state.
- Ebonyi is a state in the Southeastern region of Nigeria and its postal code is 480.
- It is bordered by Benue to the north, by Cross River to the east, by Imo and Abia states to the south and by Enugu to the west.
- Late Senator Ofia Nwali founded Ebonyi state in 1996 which makes it 23 years old in 2019. Ebonyi is one of the youngest states that was created in Nigeria.
- The first governor to be elected in the state is Dr Sam Ominyi Egwu of the People’s Democratic Party.
- The largest town which is also the state capital is Abakaliki while the second largest town is Afikpo. Majority of the residents in Abakaliki are Igbos and the city was formerly the Ogoja province headquarters before Ebonyi was created.
- As of 2006 Census, the population of Ebonyi was estimated to be about 2.17 million people. It was the 34th most populous state in Nigeria.
- Another interesting fact about Ebonyi state is that it is the 33rd largest state in Nigeria in terms of land area with 5,533 square kilometers (2,136 square miles).
- Ebonyi is divided into three senatorial zones which are Ebonyi North and Ebonyi Central which are made up of Abakaliki division and Ebonyi South which is made up of Afikpo division.
- Ebonyi is made up of twenty-two villages and thirteen local government areas in the state: Abakaliki, Afikpo North, Afikpo South, Ebonyi, Ezza North, Ezza South, Ikwo, Ishielu, Ivo, Izzi, Ohaozara,Ohaukwu and Onicha.
The Abakaliki rice is a type of rice that is majorly grown in Abakaliki, Ebonyi State.
- The Unwana Golden Sand Beach is a very good place for tourists or visitors who are interested in boat cruises, snorkelling, sunbathing and fishing. The beach is said to be friendly, peaceful and calm which can be welcoming to strangers. Another beach that offers the same fun and interest is the Ndibe Golden Sand Beach which is another popular tourist attraction.
- There are two salt lakes in the state known as Uburu and Okposi Natural Salt Lake out of which Uburu salt lake is the larger one. They are situated in Uburu and Okposi respectively, hence the slogan of Ebonyi “Salt of the Nation” due to the fact that the state has the largest salt deposit in Nigeria. The Okposi salt lake was once the economic base for rural women in the area in the past.
- Other natural and mineral resources that are available in Ebonyi are marble, limestone, zinc, natural gas, crude oil and lead.
- One of the largest poultries in Nigeria (Nkali Poultry) and one of the biggest cement factories in Nigeria, (Nigerian Cement Company at Nkalagu) are situated here.
- The dance group, Nkwa Nwite of Afikpo, national and international award-winning dance group and one of the best traditional dance group in Africa are from Afikpo, Ebonyi state.
- Majority of the residents in Ebonyi are mostly known for trading and farming with little fishing activities carried out in Afikpo. Some of the crops that are grown their include rice, potatoes, yam, maize, cassava, beans, cocoa, vegetables, groundnuts and so on. In fact, the state is known as the largest producers of rice, cassava, maize, beans and yam.
As of 2019, there is no airport in Ebonyi State.
There’s a New Yam Festival called Njoku-ji or Ihejoku that is celebrated every year in August (beginning of new plantain season).
The Amanchor Cave located in Afikpo South local government is 3 metres high and 4 kilometers long with many narrow tunnels. Other caves in the state are Akpha and Mkpurukem caves.Advertisement
- Mkpuma Ekwu Rocks located in Izzi local government area is made of egg-shaped rocks which have been in existence as far back as the history of Ebonyi State.
The Fati Amusement Park located near Abakaliki Golf course is a great tourist attraction centre for both adults and kids alike to relax and catch fun.
One of the amazing facts about Ebonyi State is that they’re blessed with many natural attractions that are interesting to see. One of such blessings is the Oferekpe Waterfalls in Ikwo local government area which is attached to one of the famous golden Sand beaches the state is known for.
Other attractions include the National Art Gallery, Lubolo Valley, Abakaliki Green Lake, Abakaliki Golf Course, Ogbodu Conical Mould, Abakali Greater Rice Husks, Slave Market and Routes, Rock Formations at Akpoha, Juju Hill and Ofogbara Rocks.
The first doctor in Old Eastern Nigeria, Dr Akanu Ibiam is from Ebonyi State.
The first minister of Education in Nigeria, Igwe Ajanwachukwu, is from Ebonyi.
The first African to become a judge in New Jersey, Dr Jude Obasi Nkama, is from Ebonyi state.
- There are 10 major languages used in Ebonyi state which are Afikpo, Mgbo, Izzi, Ezaa, Edda, Ikwo, Kukele, Legbo, Mbembe,Okposi, Uburu and Oring.
- The state has 4 tertiary institutions namely Ebonyi State University in Abakaliki, Akanu Ibiam Federal Polytechnic in Unwana, Ebonyi State College of Education in Ikwo and the Federal School of Agriculture in Ishiagu.
- “Sweet Mother“, one of the evergreen songs in the history of Nigeria and one of the greatest songs in Africa, was sung by Prince Nico Mbarga, an Ebonyian and his band, Rocafil Jazz.
Some of the celebrities and notable people born in Ebonyi State are Anyim Pius Anyim, Patrick Nnaemeka Okorie (Patoranking), Osinachi Kalu (Sinach), Benard Odoh, Angela Okorie, Grace Amah, Chacha Eke, Chita Agwu, Diamond Adaeze Igwe, Ogbonnaya Onu, Tekno Miles, Genevieve Ogbuewu (Splash), Andy Chukwu and Maria Egwu.