According to Wikipedia, USB On-The-Go (OTG) is a standardized specification that allows a device to read data from a USB device without the need for a personal computer or laptop. However, not all phones have this unique feature, hence the need to find out which phones are USB OTG support android phones. OTG is sometimes referred to as USB Host on some phones.
So, basically, the OTG’s function is to allow your mobile phone to be able to perform the work of the sender or receiver when connected to a removable media such as the pen drive.
Also, to use the otg feature of your phone, you need to have the OTG cable or connector and the OTG Pendrive or USB OTG Adapter that you’ll connect to your phone in order to send files from your phone to the drive or from the OTG Pendrive (On The Go Pendrive) to your phone.
You can try rooting your phone to unlock the OTG feature if the feature does not come out of the box with your Android tablet or phone. Note that this is for those that know the process of rooting phones and what the risks are.
For instance, in some phone brands like Samsung and Sony, the rooting of the phone voids the phone’s warranty.
USB OTG Checker
To check if your device is USB OTG compatible, you can download an easy USB OTG checker app on Google Play store. Click here to download the OTG app which can help you determine if your Android smartphone or tablet can support this functionality.
One good thing is that the app does not need root to work. Here’s a screenshot of how the OTG checker app looks.
How To Enable OTG Support For Android Mobiles
In search of how to enable OTG support for android mobiles, there are two ways you can go about this. You can enable this feature through the use of an external device or root your phone in order to enable OTG support.
In order to enable OTG through an external device, go through the following steps:
- Get and insert an OTG cable into your phone, then use a data line to connect another mobile phone to the OTG cable.
- Check and confirm if your android phone is able to charge the second smartphone or not, if it doesn’t, purchase a five volts power OTG cable to give your phone the five volts power boost it needs to provide power for external devices.
The second method is to root your phone to enable OTG support. Note that this is for the experts that know how to tinker with their phones. If you don’t know anything about rooting, please don’t try this. Now let’s go through the steps.
- Download an app to root your Android phone which will provide access to administrator permission.
- After successfully rooting your android phone, download and install Root Explorer to manage your files.
- Navigate to the Root Explorer and go to system > etc > vold.fstab.
- Click on the top-right corner to change the read-only to read-write.
- Touch and hold the vold.fstab file, choose to open with text editor.
- Go to the end of the code, leave a blank line then copy and paste the following codes behind.
# usb otg disk
dev_mount usbotg /mnt/usbotg auto /devices/platform/mt_usb
7. Save and exit the code. Restart your Android phone and insert OTG cable and USB, you will find the USB and make any changes to it.
OTG Compatible Smartphones List
Looking for which phones support OTG. Here’s our comprehensive OTG compatible smartphones list. This list includes all USB OTG support android phones and tablets. Here we go:
Asus Zenfone Max Pro M2
Asus Zenfone Max Pro
Asus Zenfone Lite L1
Asus Zenfone Max M1
Asus Zenfone Max M2
Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1
Asus Zenfone 5
Gionee Elife E7
Gionee M5 Plus
Gionee A1 Lite
Honor 10 Lite
Infinix Phones That Supports USB OTG
Infinix Hot 2 X510
Infinix Note 3 X601
Lava Iris Fuel 50
Lenovo K3 Note
Lenovo K8 Note
Micromax Canvas Hue
Motorola One Power
Motorola New Motor E 2nd Gen 4G
Nokia 5.1 Plus
Nokia 6.1 Plus
Oppo USB OTG PHONES
Oppo F11 Pro
Oppo F9 Pro
Realme 2 Pro
Realme C1 2019
Samsung Galaxy A30
Samsung Galaxy A50
Samsung Galaxy M20
Samsung Galaxy M30
Samsung Galaxy M10
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus
Samsung Galaxy A7 2018
Samsung Galaxy A9 2018
Samsung Galaxy A10
Samsung Galaxy S10
Samsung Galaxy J4
Samsung Galaxy J8 2018
Vivo V15 Pro
Xiaomi Redmi Note 7
Xiaomi Redmi Note
Xiaomi Redmi Note 6
Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro
Xiaomi Redmi 5A
Xiaomi Redmi 6A
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro
Xiaomi Redmi 6
Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro
Xiaomi Redmi Y2
Xiaomi Mi A2
Xiaomi Mi 9
Xiaomi Redmi 2
OTG Supported Samsung Tablets
This post will continue to be updated with more OTG phones that support OTG connection.
NOTE: Please ensure you double-check with the devices’ manufacturers for USB OTG compatibility. There are also some supported devices that apps such as file browsers may need to be downloaded in order to read an OTG flash drive and/or require FAT32 file system format.